1.1. Effective Date. The effective date of this Agreement is September 21, 2015.
1.5. Arbitration and Remedies. These terms contain a mandatory arbitration of disputes provision that requires the use of arbitration on an individual basis to resolve disputes, rather than jury trials or class actions, and also limits the remedies available to you in the event of a dispute. See Section 20 (Dispute Resolution) for full details.
4. Eligibility. By accessing and/or using the Service, including by doing so after accessing this Agreement, you represent and warrant that you are at least 18 years old and are otherwise legally qualified to enter into and form contracts under applicable law. If you are using the Service on behalf of a company, you further represent and warrant that you are authorized to act and enter into contracts on behalf of that company. This Agreement is void where prohibited.
5. Company’s Role.
5.1. Without limitation, you agree that Company is merely a third-party platform and you use the Service at your own risk, without limitation and pursuant to Section 8 (Assumption of Risk; Release).
6. License. Subject to your compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Company grants you a non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, revocable as stated in this Agreement, non-transferable license to access the Company websites (located at the following URLs: http://www.FindMyBeautySchool.com), and to use the Service. The Service, including any portion of the Company Website, may not be reproduced, duplicated, copied, modified, sold, resold, distributed, transmitted, or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose without the prior, express written consent of Company. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved by Company. Without limitation, this Agreement grants you no rights in or to the intellectual property of Company or any other party, except as expressly set forth herein. The license granted in this section is conditioned on your compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Your rights under this section will immediately terminate if you breach, actually or potentially, in the sole judgment of Company, any provision of this Agreement.
7. No Reliance on Third Party Content.
7.1. The Service is provided only as a technology solution.
7.2. Opinions, advice, statements, or other information made available by means of the Service by third parties are those of their respective authors, and should not necessarily be relied upon. Those authors are solely responsible for their content. Company does not: (i) guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any third-party information accessible on or through the Service; or (ii) adopt, endorse, or accept responsibility for the accuracy or reliability of any opinion, advice, or statement made by a third party by means of the Service. Under no circumstances will Company be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from your reliance on information or other content posted through the Service transmitted to or by any third party.
8. Assumption of Risk; Release. You knowingly and freely assume all risk when using the Service. You, on behalf of yourself, your personal representatives, and your heirs, hereby voluntarily agree to release, waive, discharge, hold harmless, defend, and indemnify Find My Beauty School, LLC and its stockholders, officers, directors, employees, agents, affiliates, consultants, representatives, sublicensees, successors, and assigns (collectively, the “Company Parties”) from any and all claims, actions, or losses for bodily injury, property damage, wrongful death, emotional distress, loss of privacy, or other damages or harm, whether to you or to third parties, that may result from your use of the Service.
9. Consent to Receive Electronic Communications from Company. Without limitation, by registering for the Service and providing your name, email, postal or residential address, and/or phone number through the Service, you hereby expressly consent to receive electronic and other communications from Company, over the short term and periodically, including email and short-message service (“SMS” or “text message”) communications, regarding the Service, new product offers, promotions, and other matters. You may opt out of receiving electronic communications at any time by (a) following the unsubscribe instructions contained in each communication; or (b) sending an email to unsubscribe@FindMyBeautySchool.com.
10. Consent to Receive Electronic Communications from Company Users. Without limitation, by registering for the Service and providing your name, email, postal or residential address, and/or phone number through the Service, you hereby consent to receive electronic communications, including email, short-message service (“SMS”) messages, instant messages, video conferencing, and other personal messages from other users of the Service.
11. Consent to Receive Electronic Communications from Company Partner Marketers. Without limitation, by registering for the Service and/or by providing your name, email, postal or residential address, and/or phone number through the Service, you hereby consent to receive, and openly and knowingly solicit, electronic communications, including email and SMS communications, from Company partner firms which may include third party marketing companies, affiliates, advertising agencies, and data aggregation companies regarding their services, including offers, promotions, and other related matters. You may opt out of receiving electronic communications at any time by (a) following the unsubscribe instructions contained in each communication; or (b) sending an email to unsubscribe@FindMyBeautySchool.com.
12. Third Party Websites. The Service is linked with the websites of third parties (“Third Party Websites”), some of whom may have established relationships with Company and some of whom may not. Company does not have control over the content and performance of Third Party Websites. Company has not reviewed, and cannot review or control, all of the material, including computer software or other goods or services, made available on Third Party Websites. Accordingly, Company does not represent, warrant, or endorse any Third Party Websites, or the accuracy, currency, content, fitness, lawfulness, or quality of the information, material, goods, or services available through Third Party Websites. Company disclaims, and you agree to assume, all responsibility and liability for any damages or other harm, whether to you or to third parties, resulting from your use of Third Party Websites.
13. Your Responsibility for Defamatory Comments.
13.1. You agree and understand that you may be held legally responsible for damages suffered by other users or third parties as the result of your remarks, information, feedback, or other content posted or made available through the Service that is deemed defamatory or otherwise legally actionable. Under Section 230 of the Federal Communications Decency Act of 1996, Company is not legally responsible, nor can it be held liable for damages of any kind, arising out of or in connection to any defamatory or otherwise legally actionable remarks, information, feedback, or other content posted or made available through the Service.
13.2. If you raise or file any claim against Company for conduct that a Court of Competent Jurisdiction subsequently finds to constitute an “exercise of a publisher’s traditional editorial functions,” or the legal equivalent thereof, you agree to fully and immediately compensate Company for all losses, liability, damages, costs, and expenses, including without limitation all attorneys’ fees and expenses in defending the action and resolving the matter. If you fail to compensate Company for any such claim, you hereby agree and authorize Company to report your Personal Information, including without limitation your unpaid claim, to consumer credit reporting services, collection agencies, and others.
15. Prohibited Uses. Company imposes certain restrictions on your use of the Service. You agree that you will not: (a) “stalk” or otherwise harass any person, or contact any person who has requested not to be contacted; (b) provide false, misleading or inaccurate information to Company or any other member; (c) impersonate, or otherwise misrepresent affiliation, connection, or association with, any person or entity; (d) modify or change the placement and location of any advertisement posted through the Service; (e) harvest or otherwise collect information about Company users, including email addresses and phone numbers; (f) use or attempt to use any engine, software, tool, agent, or other device or mechanism (including without limitation browsers, spiders, robots, avatars, or intelligent agents) to harvest or otherwise collect information from the Service for any use, including without limitation use on Third Party Websites; (g) access content or data not intended for you, or log onto a server or account that you are not authorized to access; (h) attempt to probe, scan, or test the vulnerability of the Service, or any associated system or network, or breach security or authentication measures without proper authorization; (i) interfere or attempt to interfere with the use of the Service by any other user, host, or network, including without limitation by means of submitting a virus, overloading, “flooding,” “spamming,” “mail bombing,” or “crashing”; (j) use the Service to send unsolicited email, including without limitation promotions or advertisements for products or services; (k) forge any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information in any email or in any uploading or posting to, or transmission, display, performance or distribution by means of, the Service; (l) while using the Service, use “ad blocking” software or similar built-in web browser options designed to hide, block or prevent the proper display of online advertising; or (l) attempt to modify, reverse-engineer, decompile, disassemble, or otherwise reduce or attempt to reduce to a human-perceivable form any of the source code used by the Company Parties in providing the Service, including without limitation any fraudulent effort to modify software or any other technological mechanism for measuring the number of impressions generated by individual content and/or the overall Service to determine and/or audit advertising revenues and payments, if applicable. Any violation of this section may subject you to civil and/or criminal liability.
16. Intellectual Property.
16.1. Compliance with Law.
16.1.1. You represent and warrant that, when using the Service, you will obey all applicable laws and respect the intellectual property rights of others. Your use of the Service is at all times governed by and subject to laws regarding copyright ownership and use of intellectual property generally. You agree not to upload, post, transmit, display, perform, or distribute any content, information or other materials in violation of any third party’s copyrights, trademarks, or other intellectual property or proprietary rights.
16.2. Trademarks. Company and the Company logo (collectively, the “Company Marks”) are trademarks or registered trademarks of Company. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics, logos, and domain names appearing anywhere on, through, or in connection with the Service may be the trademarks of third parties. Neither your use of the Service nor this Agreement grant you any right, title, or interest in or to, or any license to reproduce or otherwise use, the Company Marks or any third-party trademarks, service marks, graphics, logos, or domain names. You agree that any goodwill in the Company Marks generated as a result of your use of the Service will inure to the benefit of Company, and you agree to assign, and hereby do assign, all such goodwill to Company. You shall not at any time, nor shall you assist others to, challenge Company’s right, title, or interest in or to, or the validity of, the Company Marks.
16.3. Copyrighted Materials; Copyright Notice. All content and other materials available through the Service, including without limitation the Company logo, design, text, graphics, and other files, and the selection, arrangement, and organization thereof, are either owned by Company or are the property of Company’s licensors and suppliers. Except as explicitly provided, neither your use of the Service nor this Agreement grant you any right, title, or interest in or to any such materials.
16.4. DMCA Policy.
16.4.1. As Company asks others to respect Company’s intellectual property rights, Company respects the intellectual property rights of others. Company follows the notice and takedown procedures in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”).
16.4.2. If you believe content located on or linked to by the Service violates your copyright, you are encouraged to please immediately notify Company by means of emailed DMCA takedown notice (“Infringement Notice”), providing the information described below. If Company takes action in response to an Infringement Notice, it will make a good faith attempt to contact the party who made the content available by means of the most recent email address that party provided to Company.
16.4.3. Under the DMCA, you may be held liable for damages based on material misrepresentations in your Infringement Notice. You must also make a good-faith evaluation of whether the use of your content is a fair use; fair uses are not infringing. (See 17 U.S.C. § 107, available at https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/107, and Lenz v. Universal Music Corp., No. 13-16106 (9th Cir. Sep. 14, 2015), available at https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/2937139/stephanie-lenz-v-universal-music-corp/.) If you are not sure if content located on or linked to by the Service infringes your copyright, you should first contact an attorney.
16.4.4. The DMCA requires that all Infringement Notices must include the following:
126.96.36.199. A signature, electronic or physical, of the copyright owner or a person authorized to act on their behalf
188.8.131.52. An identification of the copyright claimed to have been infringed;
184.108.40.206. A description of the nature and location of the material that you claim to infringe your copyright, in sufficient detail to permit Company to find and positively identify that material;
220.127.116.11. Your name, address, telephone number, and email address; and
18.104.22.168. A statement by you: (i) that you believe in good faith that the use of the material that you claim to infringe your copyright is not authorized by law, or by the copyright owner or such owner’s agent; and, (ii) under penalty of perjury, that all of the information contained in your Infringement Notice is accurate, and that you are either the copyright owner or a person authorized to act on their behalf.
16.4.5. Infringement Notices should be sent to dmca@FindMyBeautySchool.com with the subject line “DMCA Notice: (INSERT YOUR NAME OR YOUR COMPANY’S NAME)”.
16.4.6. Company will respond to all DMCA-compliant Infringement Notices, including, as required or appropriate, by removing the offending material or disabling all links to the offending material.
16.4.7. Disclosure. All received Infringement Notices may be posted in full to the Chilling Effects Clearinghouse (https://chillingeffects.org/).
17. Disclaimers; Limitation of Liability.
17.1. No Warranties. Company, on behalf of itself and its licensors and suppliers, hereby expressly disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, regarding the Service, arising by operation of law or otherwise, including without limitation any and all implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, no encumbrance, or title, in addition to any warranties arising from a course of dealing, usage, or trade practice. Neither Company nor its licensors or suppliers warrants that the Service will meet your requirements, or that the operation of the Service will be uninterrupted or error-free. Company disclaims all implied liability for damages arising out of the furnishing of the Service pursuant to this Agreement, including without limitation, mistakes, omissions, interruptions, delays, tortious conduct, errors, representations, or other defects arising out of the failure to the furnish the Service, whether caused by acts of commission or omission, or any other damage occurring. Company shall not be liable for any indirect, incidental, special, consequential, or punitive damages (including without limitation damages for lost profits or lost revenues), whether caused by the acts or omissions of Company, Company Parties, or Company users, or their agents or representatives.
17.2. Your Responsibility for Loss or Damage; Backup of Data.
17.2.1. You agree that your use of the Service is at your sole risk. You will not hold Company or its licensors and suppliers, as applicable, responsible for any loss or damage that results from your access to and/or use of the Service, including without limitation any loss or damage to any of your computers, mobile devices, including without limitations tablets and/or smartphones, or data. The Service may contain bugs, errors, problems, or other limitations.
17.2.2. Importantly, you hereby acknowledge that a catastrophic disk failure or other similar event could result in the loss of all of the data related to your account. You agree and understand that it is your responsibility to backup your data to your personal computer or external storage device and to ensure such backups are secure.
17.3. Limitation of Liability. In no event shall Company or its licensors or suppliers be liable to you for any claims arising from your use with the Service, including without limitation for special, incidental, or consequential damages, lost profits, lost data or confidential or other information, loss of privacy, costs of procurement of substitute goods or services, failure to meet any duty including without limitation of good faith or of reasonable care, negligence, or otherwise, regardless of the foreseeability of those damages or of any advice or notice given to Company or its licensors and suppliers arising out of or in connection with your use of the Service. This limitation shall apply regardless of whether the damages arise out of breach of contract, tort, or any other legal theory or form of action. You agree that this limitation of liability represents a reasonable allocation of risk and is a fundamental element of the basis of the bargain between Company and you. The Service would not be provided without such limitations.
17.4. Application of Disclaimers. The above disclaimers, waivers, and limitations do not in any way limit any other disclaimer of warranties or any other limitation of liability in any other agreement between you and Company or between you and any of Company’s licensors and suppliers. Some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion of certain implied warranties or the limitation of certain damages, so some of the above disclaimers, waivers, and limitations of liability may not apply to you. Company’s licensors and suppliers are intended third-party beneficiaries of these disclaimers, waivers, and limitations. No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained by you through the Service or otherwise shall alter any of the disclaimers or limitations stated in this section.
18. Your Representations and Warranties. You represent and warrant that your use of the Service will be in accordance with this Agreement and any other Company policies, and with any applicable laws or regulations.
19. Indemnity by You.
19.1. Without limiting any indemnification provision of this Agreement, you (the “Indemnitor”) agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Company and the Company Parties (collectively, the “Indemnitees”) from and against any and all claims, actions, demands, causes of action, and other proceedings (individually, “Claim”, and collectively, “Claims”), including but not limited to legal costs and fees, and providing sole and exclusive control of the defense of any action to Company, including the choice of legal counsel and all related settlement negotiations, arising out of or relating to: (i) the relationship between you and Company, whether based in contract, tort, statute, fraud, misrepresentation, or any other legal theory; (ii) your breach of this Agreement, including without limitation any representation or warranty contained in this Agreement; (iii) your access to or use of the Service; (iv) your provision to Company or any of the Indemnitees of information or other data; (v) your violation or alleged violation of any foreign or domestic, international, federal, state, or local law or regulation; or (vi) your violation or alleged violation of any third party’s copyrights, trademarks, or other intellectual property or proprietary rights.
19.2. The Indemnitees each have the individual right, but not the obligation, to participate through counsel of their choice in any defense by you of any Claim as to which you are required to defend, indemnify, or hold harmless any, each, and/or all Indemnitees. You may not settle any Claim without the prior written consent of the concerned Company Parties.
19.3. Without limitation, the Indemnitor also hereby agrees to compensate Company for any and all lost revenues, future lost profits, reasonable search costs, and any other reasonable expenses resulting from any Indemnitor violation of Section 15 (Prohibited Uses), including without limitation any suspension of affiliate accounts or affiliate payment attributable to fraudulent efforts to manipulate or otherwise modify reported impressions generated by the Company Parties under any affiliate advertising agreement.
20. Dispute Resolution.
20.1. Binding Arbitration.
20.1.1. If you and Company cannot resolve a Claim through negotiations, either party may elect to have the Claim finally and exclusively resolved by binding arbitration. Any election to arbitrate by one party shall be final and binding on the other(s).
20.1.2. You hereby acknowledge that without this provision, you would have the right to sue in court with a jury trial or to participate in a class action.
20.1.3. The language in this Agreement shall be interpreted in accordance with its fair meaning and not strictly for or against either party.
20.1.4. The arbitration shall be commenced and conducted under the Commercial Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”), as modified by this Agreement, available at the AAA website www.adr.org or by calling the AAA at 1-800-778-7879. Except as otherwise provided for herein, Company will pay the AAA filing, administration, and arbitrator fees. If, however, the arbitrator finds that either the substance of your claim or the relief sought is frivolous or brought for an improper purpose (as measured by the standards set forth in Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 11(b)), then you will pay the arbitrator fees, in addition to any amount that exceeds the filing fees. In that case, you also hereby agree to reimburse Company for all payments disbursed that are your obligation to reimburse under the AAA Rules. The arbitrator is bound by the terms of this Agreement. All issues are for the arbitrator to resolve, except that issues relating to the enforceability of the arbitration provision are for a Court of Competent Jurisdiction to resolve. The arbitration may be conducted in person, through document submission, through telephone, or online. The arbitrator will issue a decision in writing, but need only provide a statement of reasons if requested by a party. The arbitrator must follow applicable law, and any award may be challenged if the arbitrator fails to do so. Company may litigate to compel arbitration in court, to stay proceedings pending arbitration, or to modify, confirm, vacate, or enter judgment on the award entered by the arbitrator. The arbitrator shall award costs to the prevailing party (including, without limitation, fees, expenses, and reasonable attorneys’ fees) at any time during the proceeding and upon request from either party, within 14 days of the arbitrator’s ruling on the merits.
20.2. Restrictions Against Joinder of Claims.
20.2.1. You and Company agree that any arbitration shall be limited to each Claim individually. You and Company hereby agree that each may only bring claims against the other in your or Company’s individual capacity and not as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class or representative proceeding.
20.2.2. If this specific provision is found to be unenforceable in a Court of Competent Jurisdiction, the Claim will still be finally and exclusively resolved by binding arbitration upon the election of either party, and any election to arbitrate by one party shall be final and binding on the other(s). In addition: (1) no arbitration shall be joined with any other arbitration, and (2) there is no right for any Claim to be arbitrated on a class-action basis or to employ class action procedures, and (3) there is no right of authority for any dispute to be brought in a purported representative capacity on behalf either of the general public or any other individuals.
20.3. Remedies in Aid of Arbitration; Equitable Relief. This agreement to arbitrate will not preclude you or Company from seeking provisional remedies in aid of arbitration, including without limitation orders to stay a court action, compel arbitration, or confirm an arbitral award, from a Court of Competent Jurisdiction. Furthermore, this agreement to arbitrate will not preclude you or Company from applying to a Court of Competent Jurisdiction for a temporary restraining order, preliminary injunction, or other interim or conservatory relief, as necessary. “Court of Competent Jurisdiction” means any federal or state court: (1) that has jurisdiction over the subject matter; and (2) that is located in the State of California.
20.4. Venue for any Judicial Proceeding.
20.4.1. This Agreement, including without limitation this Agreement’s interpretation, shall be treated as though this Agreement were executed and performed in the State of California, and shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflict of law principles. The language in this Agreement shall be interpreted in accordance with its fair meaning and not strictly for or against either party.
20.4.2. The proper venue for any judicial action arising out of, relating to, or in connection with this Agreement will be the state and federal courts located in or nearest to Oakland, California. The parties hereby stipulate to, and agree to waive any objection to, the personal jurisdiction and venue of such courts, and further expressly submit to extraterritorial service of process.
21.1. By Company. Without limiting any other provision of this Agreement, Company reserves the right to, in Company’s sole discretion and without notice or liability, deny use of the Service to any person for any reason or for no reason at all, including without limitation for any breach or suspected breach of any representation, warranty, or covenant contained in this Agreement, or of any applicable law or regulation.
21.2. Automatic Termination Upon Breach by You. This Agreement shall automatically terminate if you breach any of this Agreement’s representations, warranties, or covenants. Such termination shall be automatic, and shall not require any action by Company.
21.3. By You. You may terminate this Agreement and your rights hereunder at any time, for any or no reason at all, by providing to Company notice of your intention to do so, in the manner required by Section 22 (Notices).
21.4. Effect of Termination.
21.4.1. Any termination of this Agreement automatically terminates all rights and licenses granted to you under this Agreement, including all rights to use the Service. Upon termination, Company may, but has no obligation to, in Company’s sole discretion, rescind any services and/or delete from Company’s systems all your Personal Information and any other files or information that you made available to Company or that otherwise relate to your use of the Service. Upon termination, you shall cease any use of the Service.
21.4.2. Subsequent to termination, Company reserves the right to exercise whatever means it deems necessary to prevent your unauthorized use of the Service, including without limitation technological barriers such as IP blocking and direct contact with your Internet Service Provider.
21.5. Legal Action. If Company, in Company’s discretion, takes legal action against you in connection with any actual or suspected breach of this Agreement, Company will be entitled to recover from you as part of such legal action, and you agree to pay, Company’s reasonable costs and attorneys’ fees incurred as a result of such legal action. The Company Parties will have no legal obligation or other liability to you or to any third party arising out of or relating to any termination of this Agreement.
22. Notices. All notices required or permitted to be given under this Agreement must be in writing.
22.1. Company shall give any notice by email sent to the most recent email address, if any, provided by the intended recipient to Company. You agree that any notice received from Company electronically satisfies any legal requirement that such notice be in writing.
22.2. You bear the sole responsibility of ensuring that your email address on file with Company is accurate and current, and notice to you shall be deemed effective upon the sending by Company of an email to that address.
22.3. You shall give any notice to Company by means of email to notices@FindMyBeautySchool.com.
23.1. Entire Agreement. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between Company and you concerning your use of the Service.
23.2. Partial Invalidity. Should any part of this Agreement be declared invalid, void, or unenforceable by a Court of Competent Jurisdiction, such decision shall not affect the validity of any remaining portion hereof, which shall remain in full force and effect, and the parties hereby acknowledge and agree that they would have executed the remaining portion hereof without including the part so declared by a Court of Competent Jurisdiction to be invalid, void, or unenforceable.
23.3. Amendments. This Agreement may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of Company, or by the unilateral amendment of this Agreement by Company along with the posting by Company of that amended version.
23.4. No Waiver. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of this Agreement, or any breach, in any one instance, will not waive that term or condition or any subsequent breach.
23.5. Assignment. This Agreement and all of your rights and obligations hereunder will not be assignable or transferable by you without the prior written consent of Company. This Agreement will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors, and permitted assigns.
23.6. Independent Contractors. You and Company are independent contractors, and no agency, partnership, joint venture, or employee-employer relationship is intended or created by this Agreement.
23.7. No Third Party Beneficiaries. There are no third-party beneficiaries to this Agreement, with the following exceptions: the Company Parties; Company’s licensors and suppliers (to the extent expressly stated in this Agreement); and to the extent stated in the following Sections: Section 7 (No Reliance on Third Party Content), Section 12 (Third Party Websites), Section 17.4 (Application of Disclaimers).
23.8. Injunctive Relief. You acknowledge and agree that any actual or threatened breach of this Agreement or infringement of proprietary or other third-party rights by you would cause irreparable injury to Company and Company’s licensors and suppliers, and would therefore entitle Company or Company’s licensors or suppliers, as the case may be, to injunctive relief.
23.9. Headings. The headings in this Agreement are for the purpose of convenience only and shall not limit, enlarge, or affect any of the covenants, terms, conditions or provisions of this Agreement.